Upgrading early C4 to Double DIN - need help!

Discussion in 'RNS-E' started by urS6MA, Apr 2, 2007.

1. urS6MA New Member

My '99 is a late '98 build and I'm running into a problem with the double DIN cage installation. The bottom of the cage is wider than the old cage...it seems like the newer consoles may be wider.

Has anyone else run into this issue? We're doing some trimming of the cage and the interior of the console, but don't know if it will be enough.

Do I need a later console? If so, what parts will I need? (dash part of console, or the whole console that runs back between the seats?

Car is in pieces right now...thoughs appreciated!

Lee
  2. Google

3. urS6MA New Member

I'm here to confirm that the early C4 center console will not take the double DIN radio cage.

I sourced a center console from Shokan from a later car and it installed beautifully. I have not yet determined whether the rear console will need to be changed...I bought one from Shokan just in case.

Once this is wrapped up, we'll put Teddy B's custom harness and the CANBus emulator to the test. I expect things to go smoothly there!

I'll post another update once the console work is completed and I've had a chance to install the RNS-e itself.

Might even post a picture of the completed work.

Lee

Share Audi Forum with friends