RNS-E unit powers off after some time..

Discussion in 'RNS-E' started by rbrtmanns, Aug 18, 2013.

1. rbrtmanns Member

Hello,
    I have an 2003 Audi A6 with the RNS-E unit (2nd generation). I am having a couple of problems with the device's power. The device randomly switches itself off after about 25 minutes or so. As well, when I stop the car and open the door, the car will not turn off the radio anymore. What could be wrong? I did not install the gala-wire yet, however this apparently is not the reason for this behavior, as gala is more for speed/and positioning accuracy?
    any help would be great!
    Regards
  2. Google

• Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

Incorrect coding or missing CAN bus - the RNS-E will turn off after about 30 minutes (which fits with your about 25 minutes) if it doesn't see an ignition on message on the CAN bus, plus it won't turn off immediately if it doesn't see the car locked message on the CAN bus.

So your symptoms fit well with either the RNS-E coding not being correct for an A6 or there being a problem with the CAN bus connections to the RNS-E.

If it's been working OK then check the wiring to the CAN bus terminals.
  3. rbrtmanns Member

thanks for the reply and details. I'll do some checking now.
    Thanks again
  4. dcc236 New Member

You need to install the can h&L lines at the cluster and then connect them to your RNSE. You then need to code your rnse and cluster. You'll then get DIS info working, as well as lighting plus rnse off with key out of ignition.
    • Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

Holy thread resurrection!

Share Audi Forum with friends