RNS-E pin locked, can't communicate via VCDS - options?

Discussion in 'RNS-E' started by Matt Devo, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Matt Devo Member

took it to the dealer and all they could do was pull the same PIN as AoA via serial lookup, which isn't working. I have a 2nd RNS-E unit here which works fine / can communicate via VCDS, so not an issue with my wiring, adapters etc. Unit has a US part # but EU faceplate (CD/TV button) so not sure its history, but was working when pulled from a US B7 A4.

any ideas? TIA
  2. Advertisement

• Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

There are some online PIN code retrieval programs that come up when you use Google, worth giving them a try.
  3. Matt Devo Member

Dave, none of those will be able to do anything other than the same lookup the dealer and AoA did. And the unlock CD that's sold requires you to be able to downgrade the firmware, which I can't do without setting the adaptation channel in VCDS. And since I can't connect via VCDS, that's not an option either.
    • Premium Supporter

AudiA4B6US Super Moderator

If you cannot connect via VCDS then either the k-line is not connected properly (not the case here since an identical RNS-E works just fine) or the device is broken. You can actually change the software version on the upgrade CD to be higher than the one installed on the device to force firmware upgrades without VCDS. Don't ask how, I played with this way too long ago in the past but it is possible. Before going through the hassle of hacking a firmware upgrade together that works I would try to figure out why VCDS cannot connect to the device though.
  4. Matt Devo Member

how would you recommend diagnosing the VCDS connection issue? Changing the firmware version on a disc isn't all that hard, I've done it before when VIM hacking RNS-E units for others. I might even have an old EU 080 firmware disc around somewhere.
    • Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

That's not true - the dealer and AoA lookup is to an Audi database and not to the actual device, which is why they can do it without access to the RNS-E.

As AudiA4B6US says you need to debug the inability to connect with VCDS first. The RNS-E usually connects using the K2 line.

Share Audi Forum with friends