RNS-E no more in latest A3 Sportback

Discussion in '8P platform' started by bitnaut, Jul 15, 2013.

1. bitnaut Member

2. Advertisement

• Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

It's been known for sometime that the 8V A3 would switch to MMI.

The RNS-E will finally die when the updated R8 is launched next year.
  3. Alister Member

I suppose it depends on the timing of the replacement of the 8J TT too.
    • Premium Supporter

True, I forgot about the 8J TT.
  4. bitnaut Member

I wonder if Audi will now stop developing maps and firmware updates knowing that the RNS-E is pretty much end-of-life...
  5. mike3141 Member

They stopped updating the firmware of the "192" version RNS-Es when the "193" version was introduced. One can assume that when the 193-level is no longer being installed in new cars that its firmware will be functionally stabilized.

I would think that Navteq will continue to update the map data.
    • Premium Supporter

But since the map DVDs are sold through Audi (they always have been in Europe and it became that way more recently in the US) there will come a time when Audi stop selling compatible map DVDs.
  6. mike3141 Member

If it comes to that then either that's the end of the updates or if RNS-E owners are lucky Navteq can resume selling updates.

Most manufacturers will supply parts for discontinued models for 5 years after the discontinue date. I don't think I'll be an RNS-E user by then.
    • Premium Supporter

Navteq only ever sold the update DVDs in NA, they've never done that in RoW - so we're totally dependent on Audi's attitude.

Some key, non-mechanical parts, of the A4/S4/RS4 B7 have already been discontinued so Audi don't have a great track record of going over 5 years.[/quote]

Share Audi Forum with friends