RNS-E firmware not automatically upgrading with new DVD

Discussion in 'RNS-E' started by dwang, Jul 7, 2010.

1. dwang New Member

I recently bought a new 2009-2010 DVD. When I install the DVD into the drive, it keeps telling me that the DVD is not a map DVD. Nothing happens and the DVD is un-readable. The instrument cluster shows "non map DVD".

My car info is as follows:
    SW: 0100
    HW: H50
    MAP: (nothing displayed if I insert the new DVD, otherwise with the old DVD: M1N040903_NN0312)

I was under the impression that once the new DVD was inserted, the newer firmware (0260) would automatically update. This obviously is not the case. Do I have to do something specific with VAG-COM to get it to work? Please help. Thanks.

Dave
  2. Google

• Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

A DVD with newer software for the same region will result in an automatic update, so it appears that you either don't satisfy either of those requirements (newer software, same region) or you have a faulty DVD or drive.

You don't say where you live, or whether your RNS-E and map DVD are both for the same region, or whether the DVD is genuine or a copy, so there are several possible reasons.

1) Your RNS-E is in US mode and the new DVD is an EU one, or vice versa.
    2) The map DVD is a faulty copy.
    3) Can you read another map DVD? If not, you may have a dirty lens or a faulty drive.
  3. dwang New Member

Thanks for the reply. Some answers:
    I am in the US (NJ), and the RNS-E is a Euro unit converted to a US unit. DVD is US DVD and I believe it's a genuine copy. I cannot verify if the DVD works or not as I do not know anyone else with a RNS-E unit so that I can test. But I can read my other US DVD which I have had for over 4 years without any problems. Only thing is that it's old and some roads do not show up. When the new DVD is in the drive and I go to close the screen, the screen will display "DVD/CD 0260 software", so I do think the newer software is present on the DVD.

So any ideas what I should check next? I have read that there are changes that could be made via VAG-COM if needed. I do have a VAG-COM, so I can easily do that. Also, how do I get into engineering mode so that I can get you more additional information so that it might help in disgnosing the problem? Thanks for all your help so far.

Dave
    • Premium Supporter

I think it's 99% certain that you have a bad copy.
    • Premium Supporter

AudiA4B6US Super Moderator

sw 0100 is Euro software, if the RNS-E worked in the US and the first DVD was a copy, then RNS-E may have never converted to US mode (in the old days we hacked the DVD to make it work). Check the navi version in engineering mode, if it's V220 then it's in Euro mode, V222 would be US mode. if the RNS-E is in Euro mode it will need to be converted first before it reads an original US DVD.
  4. dwang New Member

OK, that makes sense. I do remember that this was the hack to convert early on.
    I was one of the first to convert a Euro RNS-E to a US unit here in the states and my DVD is a copy.
    Now, Can you please tell me how to get into engineering mode again so I can be sure that this is the case? Also, do I need certain files to convert a Euro unit to a US unit? Thanks for all your help.

Dave
  5. Jennifer.K Member

engineering mode
    1) Turn on RNS-E. 2) Press the NAV button and release. 3) Press the top-left cursor button for 5 seconds and release.

do a search for EU to US convert or check out quick links. Your going to need the Vagcom unit as well. I think some nav sites will convert the unit for you (not for free, but pretty cheap). But you'd have to check around..
    Jennifer
    • Premium Supporter

That won't get you into Engineering Mode, there's a step 4...

4) Press the top right cursor button for 10 seconds or until the engineering Mode screen appears.

Share Audi Forum with friends