RNS-E Coding Problem

Discussion in 'RNS-E' started by ilko, Feb 15, 2013.

1. ilko New Member

I purchased a Kufatec Bluetooth interface Basic Plus for RNS-E. Install was straight forward.

I coded all the components and started the car. My iPhone 5 pairs with the interface and I am able to make and receive calls with no problems.

The problem I do have is that the RNS-E refuses to be coded and shows "no telephone installed." The code I have is 0309137 and I want to change it to 0309637, 6 is the US phone version. When I code it with VCDS it says that it goes through, yet the code does not change and I get this error code:

The RNS-E in the car is factory installed. I have upgraded the maps to 2010-2011. The firmware I have now shows "X---"

Any ideas what I can do?

Thanks!
  2. Google

• Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

The firmware version showing X--- normally indicates an incomplete firmware upgrade (often when doing an SDS or VIM hack, or a region change, but you say the RNS-E was factory installed...).

Try doing a forced downgrade of the firmware to get the firmware version showing correctly.

Once the firmware version shows correctly you should be able to recode the RNS-E.
  3. ilko New Member

Thank you Dave! How do you perform a forced downgrade?
    • Premium Supporter

AudiA4B6US Super Moderator

You will need at least two software update CDs or map DVDs with different software versions. Eject the CD/DVD used last to do the software update, use VAG-COM and set channel 97 to 1, disconnect VAG-COM and insert the CD/DVD with the other software version. The RNS-E should read the software version, find a version mismatch and upgrade or downgrade.
  4. ilko New Member

I updated the software to 0260 and am getting the same issue. Can't code it either to 6 (US phone) or 7 (EU phone).

Any other tricks I should try?

Thanks!
    • Premium Supporter

Is it still showing the SW version as X---? If it is then that's still the problem.

If it's showing 0260 correctly, then try doing a reset on the RNS-E (by pressing and holding RADIO and SETUP until it restarts). Then clear any fault codes and try the coding change again.

BTW 309637 will be correct as you're running US firmware.
  5. ilko New Member

It's showing SW 0260. I reset it but that didn't help. Is there a way to completely wipe it clean? Thanks!
    • Premium Supporter

Not that I'm aware of.

I'm assuming you have Bose as your coding starts 309...

Try changing the coding to 309111, then to 309611 then 309631, then 309637 - to identify which of the option digits it's not liking.
  6. ilko New Member

I'll give it a shot, thanks!!
    • Premium Supporter

Just seen your post on audizine:

You can't code the RNS-E for an OEM Bluetooth unless you fit an OEM Bluetooth!!!
  7. ilko New Member

• Premium Supporter

Then you've either not connected the CAN bus correctly or the FISCON unit is not configured correctly or is faulty.

If the RNS-E won't accept a coding of xxx6xx it's because it can't communicate (over the CAN bus) with the phone module.
  8. ilko New Member

Just tested the other codes and the RNS-E doesn't accept them.

The unit is OEM US spec and came with the car from the factory. I'm using a fully registered version of VCDS 11.11.5 with a genuine Ross-Tech HEX+CAN cable.
  9. ilko New Member

Well, after much testing this afternoon I found the culprit. It was VCDS after all... I deleted and reinstalled it and it worked like a charm!

[​IMG]
    • Premium Supporter

Never seen that before.

Glad it's all working now.

Share Audi Forum with friends