Rns-e 2010 ami + aux

Discussion in 'RNS-E' started by rittmeister, Sep 1, 2010.

1. rittmeister New Member

Hey Guys,

Is it possible to get the CAN-AMI and an AUX-IN together working with a 2010 RNS-E?

Kufatec says that if i order the AMI retrofit Kit then the AUX-IN will not work anymore? Do they use similiar Pins?
  2. Google

3. craigyb Active Member

Yes, they share the same AUX pins, if your order the AMI then the AUX is deleted.
  4. rittmeister New Member

That sucks, i thought i read something that you can use both, the AMI and the AUX-IN
  5. craigyb Active Member

Not on the RNS-E
  6. rittmeister New Member

Thats why i thought you can have both working together, my fault, i guess i misinterpreted the msg
  7. wizard1000 Member

you can use ami as aux in

its only one more adapter to ami
  8. notorious Member

It is possible to connect AUX socket in parallel with AMI.
    When phone is disconnected from AMI it is possible to insert jack in AUX socket and RNS-E will play music from AUX socket.
    • Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

It's possible, but what you're doing is connecting the audio output of the AMI directly to the audio output of the device connected to the AUX socket - which will usually work, but carries a risk of damaging one or other of the AMI or device by back-feeding.

I've been an electronics engineer for 40+ years, and it's not something I'd do.
  9. notorious Member

Thanks Dave. I was testing in this mode for 3+ months now and it still works :)
    • Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

I didn't say it wouldn't work, nor that it would go "pop" on day 1 or day 100 - just that you're putting stress on components in the way they were not designed to be stressed.

Given the cost of an AMI and an iPhone, it's an expensive risky game you're playing.

Share Audi Forum with friends