RNS-D Install Help...

Discussion in 'CD Navigation Plus' started by witwer4444, Aug 25, 2009.

1. witwer4444 New Member

Hey guys

Well I have been looking all over the continent for a B5 A4 specific RNS-D unit and as you might know they are as rare as it gets. I have spent hours of research and have thrown up 3 or 4 threads in the B5 section trying to get and as much info as I can. I just got my hands on one however and I need help from you guys on what I need to get this thing up and working. Please if any of you have done a Symphony I to an RNS-D conversion then please help. Let me know what else I will need other than the unit itself and what not. Again, I have researched but am still unclear on how to set it up.

TIA
  2. Google

• Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

Any specific questions you would like to ask?
  3. witwer4444 New Member

I have just the RNS-D unit itself, nothing else

So, what type of antenna do I need to purchase and where can I find it the cheapest?
    Where can I find a harness that will convert my Symphony I to RNS-D
    Is Nav-Teq the only place to find maps, or can I find them on here from users?
    How can I wire the TV Tuner (in motion) to an OEM FUNK button?
    And, the most important one, How do I incorporate a CANBUS or whatever it is called and what exactly does that do?
    One more, how can I wire the RNS-D to show the directions on my LCD screen in my cluster? Is this possible in a B5? I know A6 owners can do it so I'm jw.

Thanks so much for your time and I hope you can at least answer some of these
    • Premium Supporter

You will also need a TMC tuner, since that acts as a CAN gateway translating the Audi version of CAN into the Bosch version of CAN that the RNS-D uses.

I presume you mean a GPS antenna? You need any GPS hockey puck with a Fakra connector on the cable.

Symphony I to RNS-D is not a conversion that many have done, I'm not sure you will find a wiring adapter for that. You will probably have to use a Symphony II wiring adapter and modify it.

Maps are copyright software, we cannot be seen to condone illegal sharing. In Europe maps can be bought from TeleAtlas, since the RNS-D uses Bosch DX maps.

You need a latching switch (not sure if the FUNK button is latching or just momentary) inline with the GALA signal that is used for VIM blocking . The RNS-D has 2 GALA wires, 1 for VIM/GALA and one for dead reckoning.

CANbus is a serial bus that carries many of the signals that the car uses to communicate with the RNS-D (ignition on, lights on, information to the DIS, etc.). If your B5 has a digital clock in the dash then the Infotainment CAN should be available on the connectors on the back of the instrument cluster.

As said above this information is carried over the CAN bus, so you have to wire that up.
  4. witwer4444 New Member

Thanks for all the help.

Do you think a custom stereo shop could help me out with this somewhat or will they get just as much of a headache figuring it out as I am?
    • Premium Supporter

You need somewhere that deals in retrofitting Audi OE components rather than a custom stereo shop which will be more used to dealing with aftermarket equipment.
  5. witwer4444 New Member

OK so I just got the RNS-D in the mail and it is flawless (at least by looks).

Now, I dont have any of the nav accessories yet but can I still plug this thing in to get at least the radio to work?

Let me know, thanks

And I cant tell which of the numbers is the radio code. Its either 0986 or 1024
  6. witwer4444 New Member

I tried one of the two codes on the unit and it was the wrong one. That was at 1:30 and its now 5:30 and the unit is still locked. Theres one more code I can try but it wont unlock and I was told you have 3 chances to try and then if not then you have to wait 30 minutes. Any tips? Do I have to keep the unit on for 30 minutes? Or do I have to completely unplug every plug in the unit and plug it all back in? Let me know ASAP as I want my RNSD!!
  7. Dan1969 New Member

You didn't get the code from whoever you bought it from?
    • Premium Supporter

You must keep the unit turned on until the lock-out expires - I thought it was 60 minutes and not 30?
  8. witwer4444 New Member

Thanks guys

Ya I figured it all out Friday. I went to the dealer to get a wire to put in slot 5, and spliced it with wire to pin 7 and it works. Thanks so much and I'll probably need more help down the road so be on the lookout for questions.
    • Premium Supporter

Yes, the RNS-D needs the SAFE wire connected...
  9. zaza New Member

hello guys!

witwer4444 said: And, the most important one, How do I incorporate a CANBUS or whatever it is called and what exactly does that do?
    CANbus is a serial bus that carries many of the signals that the car uses to communicate with the RNS-D (ignition on, lights on, information to the DIS, etc.). If your B5 has a digital clock in the dash then the Infotainment CAN should be available on the connectors on the back of the instrument cluster.

follow the TEDYBIGAME-s wiring diagrams, i done all included connectIon CAN-H & CAN-L. I HAVE CHECKED 100 times and the can L&H are connected correctly to cluster +TMC tuner(part number 4B2 919 894)+navi plus unit, the unit is works fine, the radio and CD is good as well, stering wheel butons is ok and navigation are perfect!
    THE PROBLEM IS! I DONT HAVE ANY INFO ON INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DISPLAY, WHAT IS CAN BE PROBLEM AND HOW TO FIX? LEASE HEL ME, I AM SO TIRED WITH THIS INSTALLATION, ALL IS ALMOST DONE AND THATS DIS IS REALLY PISSED ME OF.
    PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!!!!

Share Audi Forum with friends