Replacing Symphony head unit in a 2006 A3 S-line

Discussion in 'Aftermarket' started by scotje, Jan 11, 2010.

1. scotje New Member

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can help me with some (hopefully) simple questions about replacing the head unit in my 2006 A3. I have the 3.2 VR6 which means it's also the S-line package. The current unit is badged "Symphony" and has a built in 6-cd changer and a tape deck. The speakers are marked with "Bose premium sound" or something to that effect.

So here are my basic questions:

1) Can I replace this unit with any standard double-DIN receiver assuming I get the replacement facia piece from somewhere? I was pretty sure I could, but it wasn't reassuring when things like the Crutchfield website tell me I can't use double-DIN stuff so I just wanted to confirm with someone.

2) Since I have the Bose branded speakers, does that require a different wiring harness than would otherwise be used?

3) I understand that I can make the controls on the MFSW talk to a third-party head unit as long as I purchase a couple different adapters and can fit them in behind the unit. Is there any hope of doing something similar to get the audio/nav functions of the DIS working with a third-party unit or is that just going to be blank? (The top portion of the DIS I mean.)

4) Is it true that there is a GPS antenna built into the factory "shark-fin" antenna box on the top of the car even if the car didn't have factory nav? If so is it possible to hook that up to a third-party GPS or is it better to just wire a new antenna under the dash?

I've done a lot of searching on forums and such and while I've found some promising information, usually it's about a different car model than the A3 and sometimes different sources conflict.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
  2. Google

• Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

You will need an adapter since the Audi radios are double DIN sized "behind the scenes" but the faceplate is larger.

With Bose all speakers are amplified and only line level signals from the head unit are used.

BTW you will need an adapter to feed 12V up the antenna cable to the antenna amplifiers built-in to the car, without that radio reception will be rubbish. Note - this is NOT an amplifier, it's a power adapter.

Nope, the top part of the DIS will remain blank with all known third party head units.

US cars have a sharkfin with a GPS antenna prefitted, cars in other markets don't.

Using the sharkfin antenna is better than a hockey puck under the dash, especially if you drive in downtown areas.
  3. scotje New Member

Is it something like this Metra adapter?

Do I need any adapter/cable here or will there just be a spare wire back there that plugs right into the new nav unit?

Thanks for your help, I think I've got this about figured out! :)
    • Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

Nope, that's an amplifier not a power inserter like this Autoleads PC5-52 Audi Antenna Aerial Adaptor

There will be a short wire terminated in a Fakra connector - so you'll need an extension cable with a Fakra on one end and whatever your aftermarket unit needs on the other.

Share Audi Forum with friends