Please explain the "component protection" removal procedure...

Discussion in 'MMI' started by grenness, Dec 1, 2011.

1. grenness New Member

Hi, all.

I just came back from my local VAG dealership where I went to have the component protection on my newly swapped MMI controller box removed.
    I thought this would be a standard and quick procedure, but after an hour they came back to me saying it would take another 255 minutes to wait for a lockdown to release. When I asked whether this was part of a standard "component protection removal" procedure, they sort of gave me a blank stare, and said something about never having done this sort of job before.

I didn't have time to wait so I left with my car (and muted stereo..), but before I call them back and make another appointment on a day where I can sit and wait for 4 hours and 15 minutes (or have someone to pick me up), I 'm just curious on whether they are doing this the right way or if that 255 minute lock suggests that there's something else that needs to be taken care of in the MMI?

Thanks,
    Christopher
  2. Advertisement

• Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

Sounds to me more like they did something wrong (like entering an incorrect code) and triggered a lockout timer?
  3. grenness New Member

Thanks, PetrolDave, I thought that might have been the case too. But do you (or others) know how this lockout timer works? Will it disable itself after 255 mins of normal use of the car/MMI?
    If that's the case, I would expect that the next time I visit this or another shop, that the lockout timer should be disengaged so that the component protection removal procedure should take only a few minutes, right?
    But if there's a special procedure to make the lockout timer disengage, that would mean that no matter which certified Audi dealership I go to next, they will have to wait 255 mins before they can remove the protection.
    This also would mean that it wasn't necessarily this dealership that did something wrong, the wrongdoing could have been performed previously (the MMI controller box is used, I bought it from a company specializing in selling car multimedia - both new and pre-owned).

Regards,
    Christopher
  4. billeuz2 Member

Several minutes only to do the job!
  5. JOHNNY5377 New Member

Hello Pascale

you find the solution without AUDI ????

Thank you JOHNNY

Share Audi Forum with friends