OBD2 / OBDII Scan Tools for Mac/iphone or other handheld option

Discussion in 'VAG codes' started by airmangirard, Mar 9, 2012.

1. airmangirard New Member

Anyone have experience with OBD2 (OBDII) diagnostic options for the Mac? I've researched the iPhone apps Rev and Dash Command (via Kiwi Wifi) but can't tell if the apps give specific info - like, if an ignition coil goes bad & you get a misfire code, does it just say Generic Misfire or will it show the cylinder number? Seems Rev has stopped updating their app for almost 2 yrs now & now gets lower reviews, but would love to hear actual experiences.

Also, if I forego a mac/iphone option, any recommendation for a handheld device that gives good specific codes. Thanks!

2001 A4 Avant /1.8T / Quattro / 5-sp
  2. Advertisement

• Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

A Windows tablet running VCDS?
  3. airmangirard New Member

While awesome, that's a bit over the top of what I want/need, both in price and ability. I'm looking for something portable that might quickly tell me whether what's wrong is an ignition coil I can replace with the spare in the trunk, or something else much more dire that's definitely going to the shop for the pro to fix. But I will send a note to RossTech asking they make an iPad app! ;-) Thanx for the reply. -r
    • Premium Supporter

Ross-Tech have repeatedly said they have no plans for Mac or iPad products.

If you want a decent product with good diagnostics then VCDS is your only choice.
  4. airmangirard New Member

Thanx Dave. Appreciate the input.
  5. airmangirard New Member

I see RossTech's site says they are working on a mobile version that would be browser based and therefore not platform specific. (iOS, android, etc). Says that it's to be ready in 2012. There's no way on God's green earth I'd have patience enough to deal with a windows tablet when the iPad is so much more. ;-)
    • Premium Supporter

There's no way I'll ever buy any product from Apple, their abuse of their dominant market position in certain sectors has gone beyond even the abuses that Microsoft carried out.

Share Audi Forum with friends