New owner with electrical problem

Discussion in 'C4 platform' started by JPack, Jul 12, 2010.

1. JPack New Member

First off hello.

I just purchased a 1997 A6 quatro wagon yesterday. It has a couple issues but for the price I got it for I couldn't pass it up. I purchased it for my wife to use in the fall/winter while her summer toy is put away.

On to the issue.....

The previous owner had an ignition switch issue. You would have to move the key just right to turn the car on. One day it failed and a small bit of smoke came out of the switch. He took the car to a shop to get the switch replaced and diagnose the smoke issue. They started to go through all the wiring but never completed the diagnosis. He picked up the car and brought it home with hopes of finding it out himself. They gave him the wiring diagrams. Well the car sat for over 2 years with nothing done further with it.

As the car sits you can turn the key and the car starts. Everything works as it should in the car with the exception of the car won't turn off and drives only in 1st gear. I unplug the maf to let the car die to shut it off.

Being this is my first Audi I figured maybe someone could point me I the right direction and save me some time diagnosing the issue.

I am very mechanically inclined and have built many cars from the ground up. If someone could save me some time and point me in the right direction I sure would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!!!

Jim
  2. Advertisement

3. JPack New Member

No one has any idea? New info, car stays running with ignition wiring pulled from new ignition switch....

Wiring diagrams.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Premium Supporter

AudiA4B6US Super Moderator

Share Audi Forum with friends