MMI retrofit errors in Q5

Discussion in 'MMI' started by Eric Jeanne, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Eric Jeanne Member

Hi there,
    I recently (and rather naively) started a retrofit of my symphony unit to an MMI system in my Q5. I was able to get the wiring loom and most parts.

After installing all the components, I did a scan and received a whole of errors. I was not expecting things to work due to Component Protection, but the system could not even turn on. The screen flashed the MMI/Audi log for about 1-2 secs and then went blank. It seems that there is power to the MMI unit as I can hear the DVD motor spinning when I press the eject button.

The controls don't come on after trying to press the power button.

The only wiring which I have had to do was to connect the "k-diagnose" wire from the new wiring loom to PIN-10 of the gateway connector. Not sure if that is the problem.

I have attached a copy of the scan and a snapshot listed below.

I am not sure if you have come across this problem but any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

Saturday,27,April,2013,15:57:38:37412
    VCDS Version: Release 10.6.4
    Data version: 20110418

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chassis Type: 8T0
    Scan: 01 02 03 05 06 08 09 10 15 16 17 19 2E 42 46 47 52 53 56 5F
    62 6C 6D 72

VIN: WAUZZZ8R6BA021188 Mileage: 33280km/20679miles

01-Engine -- Status: OK 0000
    02-Auto Trans -- Status: OK 0000
    03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
    04-Steering Angle -- Status: OK 0000
    05-Acc/Start Auth. -- Status: OK 0000
    06-Seat Mem. Pass -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100
    08-Auto HVAC -- Status: Malfunction 0010
    09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
    10-Park/Steer Assist -- Status: OK 0000
    15-Airbags -- Status: Malfunction 0010
    16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
    17-Instruments -- Status: Malfunction 0010
    19-CAN Gateway -- Status: Malfunction 0010
    2E-Media Player 3 -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100
    42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
    46-Central Conv. -- Status: OK 0000
    47-Sound System -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100
    52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
    53-Parking Brake -- Status: OK 0000
    56-Radio -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100
    5F-Information Electr. -- Status: Cannot be reached 1100
    62-Door, Rear Left -- Status: OK 0000
    6C-Back-up Cam. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
    6D-Trunk Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
    72-Door, Rear Right -- Status: OK 0000

Attached Files:

2. Google

3. spinmar Member

Hi Eric,
    looking at your scan I see that you are not able to reach all MMI components (5f, radio, sound system, etc....).
    The gateway seems to work correctly but I suppose there is some problems in the power the system.
    Are you sure you installed correctly the system (fiber and powering)?
    I suppose yes but you have to verify it.
    Remember that the optical fiber circuit must be closed and it means that you have to install all components (for example you can't try the system without radio).
    Other check to you have to do is the wire.
    It could be interrupted somewhere.
    Where did you buy it?
    The k-diagnose pin is not the problem because the system works correctly also without it. It is important to use the function MMi diagnose if your system works correctly and suddenly it stops and with vag you can this function.
    Bye
  4. Eric Jeanne Member

Thanks for the feedback Spinmar.
    I purchased all the parts from Naviservice.
    I had checked all the installation and wiring. And also had an auto-electrician verify it all for me. I can always double check it. There aren't that many parts, so it shouldn't take long for me to check each of the wire.
    Kris mentioned that 1 of the parts may be dead or faulty.
  5. spinmar Member

Yes, it is always a good idea to check it twice ;)
    As I wrote before the optical fiber circuit must be closed. If you try for example to remove the radio from a car with MMI all the system shutdown.
    What is the part faulted?
  6. Eric Jeanne Member

Sure thing.
    Kris did not mention which part might be faulty. I am not sure if the scan can sow this.
  7. Auditech New Member

Eric - I have a new MMI 3G + unit (8R1 035 666) installed in my A5 who is doing exactly the same; “The screen flashed the MMI/Audi log for about 1-2 secs and then went blank”. My wiring Works and my solution is sending it to Naviservice…
  8. Eric Jeanne Member

Thanks Auditech. That's good to know as I have the same unit.
    Did your controls light up at all? I found that the controls were useless and did not turn anything on.
    I have been asked by Naviservice to check the wiring and verify the connection to the MOST component. I also had not connected the amplifier wiring when I did not the scan and this may (or may not) have affected the whole circuit. I will give it another try this weekend and see what the outcome is.

Let me know how you go with yours.
  9. spinmar Member

Same unit?
    It is a 3G+ plus unit and not 3G one.
    Are you sure?
    Which components exactly naviservice sold you?
  10. Eric Jeanne Member

You're right Spinmar.....you know my stuff better than I... :oops:
    I was looking at the 3G plus at one stage but ended up getting the 3G......
  11. Auditech New Member

Eric - my controls does not light up. When i start the car the screen stays Blank and if I push the start bottom the logo came on in 1-2 secs and then went blank...
    Spinmar - all 8R1 units is 3G+
  12. Eric Jeanne Member

Sounds like the same symptoms as mine then. I will definitely go through the test which Naviservice asked me to do over the weekend.
    I will post the results.
  13. kris.2010 Member

First important thing
    Close MOST ring in navigation !!!
    if navi is OK working without the other parts.

Check it before you send navigation to test.
    If logo in navi come out after 2min - 90% navi is good
    Eric navigation we tested before sale.
  14. Eric Jeanne Member

Thanks Kris.
    I will definitely to the tests before anything else.

Last question. How would I "close the MOST ring in navigation"?
    Cheers
    Eric
  15. spinmar Member

Hi Eric,
    I suppose that Kris means that MOST fiber ring must be closed and that means that you have to connect all fiber inputs you have in your wire.
    Connect all components and do vag scan. In this way you should understand what is the components.
    If something is wrong you have to send the faults components to Naviservice in warranty.....
  16. Eric Jeanne Member

I figured that might be the case but just wanted to make sure.
  17. Eric Jeanne Member

Good news. I followed Kris' instructions and was able to get the components working.

The test was to shine a light through the optical fibre and make sure the MOST ring had a close loop (Nav to Radio, Radio to GW and GW back to Nav). In my previous attempt, I had not connected the (old) amplifier cable to the new wiring loom. Once this was done, I was able to get power to the radio unit and therefore close the loop.

So now, the unit power on, the console lights up and I can select basic functions such as navigation. The next step is to go to the dealership to remove component protection.

There are quite a few things which are not working (eg air con, interior light) and all sorts of warning on the display.

My thanks to Spinmar and Kris (Naviservice) for all the help.

Hopefully the next post will be with even more good news.
  18. Eric Jeanne Member

Hi everyone, finally had the audi dealership remove the component protection from the parts.
    Most of the items are working. Radio, Navigation, Media (SD Cards) are all functioning. In safe mode, the instrument cluster lost lighting, so it was quite difficult to drive the car. But the dealership was able to rectify all this issues.

There are still 2 issues remaining:
    1. The air conditioning controls don't appear on the MMI screen. This is painful as I only have single zone A/C without any (small) LCD display. So when I change temperature, I can't see any change on the display
    2. The reverse camera is recognised through the gateway but there is no image on the display when I change to reverse. The MMI display does not even change

Spinmar has provided a few tips on the A/C information. But it is still not working.

Has anyone had this issue when retrofitting MMI 3G on a Q5?
    Thanks
  19. spinmar Member

Hi Eric,
    check my private email :)
    This should help you about many errors you have.
    Bye
  20. Eric Jeanne Member

Guys good news.
    The climate control is now working. I can see the temperature in the MMI display.

I did the following to get it working:
    1. Remove A/C from car>protocollswitch (thanks spinmar). Reset MMI. This did not have any effect initially.
    2. Went to VCDS and change Module 8, Function 10, Channel 47. Set value to 5 (secs) and saved. (The initial value was 5. So I set it to an arbitrary value, saved, set to 5, saved again).

And then it all worked (yeah!).

I can see the see the temperature adjustment. And can also control the fan speed, and air distribution.

The only thing left now is the reverse camera.
    Thanks for everyone's help.
  21. craigyb Active Member

Reverse camera should be simple, code the 5F unit for reverse camera, reset it. Code the parking/steering controller 10 for camera and if your camera module is coded correctly then that should be it.

Share Audi Forum with friends