Audi Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts
So I opted to start working on getting the US map discs working with EU firmware again so we can enjoy SDS and such here in the states. :) I loaded 0550 with SDS enabled on my RNS-E and popped in my 2005 disc thinking it would work, no dice. So my question of course is this...can someone please let me know if I make an update disc and include the SDS files, will the RNS-E load the SDS files? And secondly, since I don't have access to the 2007 EU map disc, can someone please supply me with the SDS files for the different languages? I'm also curious to know what the 2007 EU map database version number is if anyone can check that for me. :) On second though, it would probably be easier if someone could point me in the right direction to obtain a "backup" copy from the internet...I've searched a little, but so far haven't found anything but the US disc. :)

Regards,
Los93soL

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Re: Just tried the SDS FW update... German though...

kristoffer said:
How do I change this?
Should I try to "reset" the firmware? As the starter of this tread had to do? But I have no clue how to do this...
I see you finally don't need it anymore, but...

the correct procedure would be to press that label "Flash FileSystem Clear" on the SDS Menu within Engineering Menu... (you also pictures it out in your message...).

Ah...

Nice to know, and maybe for others that see this tread later... :D

But it solved itself for me, the next day it was possible to choose. So sometimes it is patience, my friend... :p

Trying to sort through this. Please tell me if this take on things is correct:

So as defined, SDS should only work on later revision RNS-E devices, but some creative folks have managed to convince earlier models to act as if they're the later models so that the feature is available. If you do that conversion, you need to route the microphone (for me, currently connected to the Bluetooth module) to the RNS-E and then daisy-chain back to the Bluetooth module from mic outputs on the RNS-E? Once that's all connected, you can use voice commands to controls many aspects of the car including Bluetooth or instead of Bluetooth? If so, is there a listing of acceptable commands anywhere?

Several questions in there, I know. I have a US spec RNS-E retrofitted to an '04 B6 S4 with MFSW, 0550 firmware, and the Bluetooth module. If it were easy and VERY low risk, I'd be interested in having full voice command in my car, but if there were even reasonable risk I'd bork something or if it's not proven out on US spec devices at this point, I'll pass.

If this information is well detailed somewhere else on the forum, please just point me there. I did a search for "SDS" and really didn't find much other than this thread and one or two others.

Thanks,
Scott

SDS doesn't work with the US sw 0150 and the Euro sw 0550 doesn't work with the US map DVD, so no SDS for the folks in the US - at least for now. Those who are using the Euro sw 0550 and simply run Klaus' SDS tool on the loading .kwi from the 0550 DVD, change the sofidx in index.txt to 0560 and copy all the files from the root of the 2007 DVD (except alldat.kwi) to a CD, update the RNS-E using that CD and rewire the microphone and that's it, SDS should be e3nabled until the next software update is done.

Sorry, bit late to this thread.

Will this work for any RNS-E in any car?

I have an A3 with factory fitted RNS-E, GSM & MFSW. If I use this gizmo on my unit will it enable SDS? What are the risks involved - really don't want to nerf anything up?

Secondly, what exactly does SDS give you in terms of voice control?

will this work with EU650?

Ive just popped my mates 2008 map into my car and now have 650 and lost the SDS update I once did.

If I create a new update CD and change the INDEX.TXT to SOFIDX:0660 will this work like it did with 550 ?

Thanks

Vertigo1 said:
Sorry, bit late to this thread.

Will this work for any RNS-E in any car?

I have an A3 with factory fitted RNS-E, GSM & MFSW. If I use this gizmo on my unit will it enable SDS? What are the risks involved - really don't want to nerf anything up?

Secondly, what exactly does SDS give you in terms of voice control?
I believe it should work OK I did this on my H50 unit and it enabled the SDS. Just need to re-wire the mic into the RNSe and you're good to go. If you're worried about corrupt firmware, patch a copy of your current version, the SDS hack also works with the latest SW650.
You get voice control of the radio, CD and navigation, can't remember the actual commands though ;(

Hope this helps.

JohnS3 said:
You get voice control of the radio, CD and navigation, can't remember the actual commands though.
Press the PTT button and say "help" - you will see on the RNS-E screen and hear a list of the available commands.

For more information press the PTT and say (for example) "help navigation".

Press the PTT button and say "help" - you will see on the RNS-E screen and hear a list of the available commands.

For more information press the PTT and say (for example) "help navigation".
hello, i just came on this thread
i would like to activate the SDS on my RNS-E, i saw i have to create a update patched CD and then put it in the rns-e

here is my configuration:
A3 8P from mid '05
RNS-E (year '2005, so not the latest, no the Q one :cry:)
European west DVD '2008
SW 0650
HW55
Phone prep but no cradle and working phone :cry:
Bose Audiopilot
MFSW

Do i have to rewire the mic or something, sorry i didn't get that part..:-k
I have a PTT button on the MFSW and can use it to spell out numbers for my connected BT phone

Is SDS already activated, can i check this using the vag-com ?

thanks ! :D

Do i have to rewire the mic or something, sorry i didn't get that part..:-k
Yes, currently the microphone is wired to the phone module, you need to re-wire it to the RNS-E and connect the RNS-E Mic Out pins to the phone module Mic In pins.
I have a PTT button on the MFSW and can use it to spell out numbers for my connected BT phone
What you have is the voice recognition of phone commands ONLY, not SDS (even though the menu on the RNS-E is headed SDS for both - confusing? Yes!)
Is SDS already activated, can i check this using the vag-com ?
No. SDS cannot be activated with VAG-COM, you need to load the hacked SW.

BTW you will need to recode your Bluetooth module to 01xx0x - otherwise the RNS-E will have SDS and the phone module will have voice recognition both active together and there will be confusion!

Thanks Petroldave !

is there a tutorial with photos for rewiring the mic, do i have to get my rns'e completeley out (i'm not so happy with that, as for now it works fine and i'm not a pro-mechanic)
is it easy to do ?
is it possible SDS is already activated (but not coded correctly in vag-com) and I don't know it ? i read in another thread somebody had a 2005 rns-e with SDS already activated

ok for recoding the phone module , i guess it's under [77]

and once finished all that stuff works by pressing the PTT button ?

btw, any ideas to recode my mode button which is useless (tries to access phonebook without success)

thanks

is there a tutorial with photos for rewiring the mic, do i have to get my rns'e completeley out (i'm not so happy with that, as for now it works fine and i'm not a pro-mechanic)
You do have to get the RNS-E out because you need to get to the wiring at the back of it. It's real easy - insert the 4 Audi keys and pull slowly and carefully.
There's several posts by people whio have done it, but no photos.
Most of us aren't pro-mechanics, just owners.
is it easy to do ?
Yes.
is it possible SDS is already activated (but not coded correctly in vag-com) and I don't know it ? i read in another thread somebody had a 2005 rns-e with SDS already activated
There is NO coding on the RNS-E for SDS - period (I've posted this many times). If you have the two SDS menus (for volume and language) then you have SDS, if you don't have those menus then you don't have SDS - it really is that simple.

ok for recoding the phone module , i guess it's under [77]
Yes.

and once finished all that stuff works by pressing the PTT button ?
Yes.

btw, any ideas to recode my mode button which is useless (tries to access phonebook without success)
If it tries to access the phone book then it is correctly coded - remember the phone module has a separate phonebook to your phone and RNS-E.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.