Is there any way to enable RNS-D center console switch to work with RNS-E?

Discussion in 'RNS-E' started by pokrovsky, Jun 30, 2014.

1. pokrovsky Member

This is for 2002 C5 allroad.
    I retrofitted the RNS-E, Sirius, OEM BT and everything works/programmed/functions properly.
    But I was wondering if this switch could be somehow enabled on a software level? That would be very convenient to be able to use some of the shortcuts from the center console

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Google

• Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

Blimey, this question used to asked a lot but hasn't been asked for many years.

Sadly, the answer is still the same - no.
  3. pokrovsky Member

thank you Dave
  4. AudiA4Turbo22 Member

I disassembled one to figure out if it can be done and it can, but there would be tons of wiring and soldering or else I would be all over it.
    • Premium Supporter

How would you connect the switches into the internals of the RNS-E without tearing that apart?

It won't take CAN bus commands to control it so there's no other way AFAIK.
  5. AudiA4Turbo22 Member

This would be hardwired to the RNS-E's mainboard. So essentially, I would run wires from each of the buttons on the console to the corresponding RNS-E button and tap into the connections at the motherboard. Like I said, it would be a pain in the ass, but it would be nice to have.
    • Premium Supporter

You're not kidding, it would also be a nightmare to get the wires out of the RNS-E, fit a connector (so that you could remove it) and attach the wires to the buttons.

More pain than it's worth IMHO.
  6. AudiA4Turbo22 Member

Yup, definitely more work than I would want to undertake. However, I would do it if I felt 25% more confident in my electrical abilities lol.
    • Premium Supporter

I wouldn't do it and I'm a Chartered Electrical Engineer with 30+ years experience and ex-Chief Engineer for Nokia - as I know it would end up looking like a complete rats nest of wires.
  7. AudiA4Turbo22 Member

Can't argue with the expert's perspective.

Share Audi Forum with friends