iPod, auxiliary input confusion..

Discussion in 'RNS-E' started by rbrtmanns, Jun 19, 2013.

1. rbrtmanns Member

Hello,
    I'm hoping somebody can help me out. I'm a bit confused on some things here. I have a 2007 A3 with Symphony II.
    I really want is to stream Web radio or Spotify from my iPod. All I really need for that is an AUX hookup ( which my car does not currently have ) and upgraded to the RNS-E unit (193 part)

I wouldn't be able to see any text but it would work. I have a iPod cable in my glovebox when the Audi dealer previously hooked up their OEM iPod interface to the CD changer port from when I had the Symphony Radio. I would use that if I knew that it was hooked up to the new unit. The new unit does not have a CD changer selection when I hit the "media" button. It did have and "External Audio Source" button so I was hoping that it was magically connected to the iPod interface but it was not.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Best regards
  2. Google

• Premium Supporter

AudiA4B6US Super Moderator

So, you don't have an RNS-E but the Symphony radio? Do you have a Symphony II (with compact cassette deck and internal CD changer) or a Symphony II+ (internal CDchanger only)?

Since you say you see the option for External Audio Source I suppose you have a Symphony II+ with Quadlock connector. Pull the radio out and look at the diagrom on the top lid, it should show where the AUX-IN pins are. Get some repair wires from the Audi dealer and connect a 3.5mm jack tot he AUX-in pins and you shoudl be able to play any audio using a simple 3.5mm audio cable.
  3. rbrtmanns Member

sorry forgot to put the RNS-E part,:oops:
    • Premium Supporter

for the RNS-E running US 260 or EU 650 you can just connect the AUX-IN pins inthe 32pin AMP connector.
  4. rbrtmanns Member

okay thanks for the reply. Okay you mean I should buy the 32 pin connector from Audi. As shown[​IMG]

I think the current firmware is 210, with the second-generation unit. If that makes any difference.
    Many thanks for your time
    • Premium Supporter

yep, that's the 32 pin AMP connector. You will need repair wires too so that you can connect some audio cable to those pins. The 2010+ RNS-E supports AUX IN with any software version in all regions.

Share Audi Forum with friends