Dension gwp1ac1 or similar for 2010+ RNS-E?

Discussion in 'RNS-E' started by a4000, Sep 12, 2013.

1. a4000 New Member

Looking to get the dension gwp1ac1 for my 2010 RNS-E but looks like they are saying it is not supported. Anyone know why? Is it the radio that's not compatible or is it the car? I have an 08 A3. Is there something similar? I don't have factory bluetooth so I'm looking to add that with a2dp streaming.
  2. Google

3. a4000 New Member

Anybody?

Dension is saying that Audi changed the communication protocol for 2010+ models and that's why their interfaces don't work with gen2 rns-e's.

But if my car is an 08 then maybe that doesn't apply?

Anyone have experience with the Neo audio adapters? Like the Neo MediaLink - PVW1GV1-BT
  4. mike3141 Member

It wouldn't apply if you have the 192 version of the RNS-E rather than the 2010+ 193.
    • Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

a4000 - I've never heard before any comment about the communication protocol being changed for the 2010+ RNS-E.

I'm running a 2010+ RNS-E with AMI in my 2007 B7 with no problems.
  5. a4000 New Member

Sorry....let me try to explain again. Dension says their interfaces wont work on 193s. Why is this? I have an 08 a3 but will have a 193 in it.
  6. mike3141 Member

The 2010+ models come with either the AMI or a CD changer. The question is "Is there an interface unit between the RNS-E and the changer?". Or is the changer different? Since their unit emulates the changer it sounds to me that Dension says the protocols are different on the 193 units and that's why their unit won't work with them.
    • Premium Supporter

No, there isn't the CD changer still corrects straight to the 193 unit.
    No, it's the same Audi part number.

I had the Audi OE fitted CD changer (from 2006) working with my 2010+ RNS-E for 2 years until I fitted the AMI.
  7. mike3141 Member

Then I wouldn't know why Dension says it won't work......
  8. a4000 New Member

I will try one and report back. Thanks.
  9. mike3141 Member

The only reason I can see that they might say that would be for those who opted for the RNS-E/AMI combo instead of the RNS-E/CD Changer.
    • Premium Supporter

The thing is that the RNS-E/AMI/CD combo works, i.e. you CAN have AMI and the CD changer - but there isn't room in the glovebox to fit both.

But it does mean that you can fit an Aux In to CD changer adapter and plug an A2DP to Aux adapter into that, and run that as well as AMI - so you can have a hard drive in the AMI and still have an A2DP BT connection (without track info) to e.g. an iPhone.

Share Audi Forum with friends