Cannot code MK2 RNS-E to C5

Discussion in 'RNS-E' started by pokrovsky, Mar 30, 2015.

1. pokrovsky Member

Hi!

I'm totally stuck and can't figure out what's the problem.

I have a 193B RNS-E unit that was previously coded for C5/4B before by the seller but I (in an attempt to enable AMI) coded it back to A3. Now I can't change the second digit back to "5" no matter what I do. By the way, AMI integration went well and I can enjoy full iPhone support which is amazing, menu allows to navigate through anything and everything including Audiobooks and Podcasts and of course the music collection.

Here is what I tried so far: followed various instructions to downgrade the software, acheived partial success, software gets downgraded to an X--- version using 2009 US Nav DVD but that does not allow me to change the dreaded digit to "5".
    I tried burning CD-Rs of other years US DVDs (2006, 2007, 2008) and none of them would initiate the software update (I do all the proper steps, i.e. changing adaptation channel 97 to 1, etc).
    So only 2009 disk is accepted but it seems it is not old enough to allow the coding for 4B.

Any other tips/hints how to accomplish this task?

Everything works as it should, with the following coding other than proper wheel impulse/speed signal from the cluster to the RNS-E: 0309647 and all I want to do is to code the unit with 0509647.

The car is 2002 allroad that has Bose, CD-Changer, Sat Radio, OEM BT and AMI

Here is my configuration (before software downgrade):
    RNS-E: 8P0 035 193 B
    HW: H02
    System SW index: 0230
    HU/Navi SW version: V5751050
    Boot version: V574100A
    Audio SW version: A5750022-021209
    Text version: 580

After software downgrade:
    System SW index: X---
    HU/Navi SW version: V5751050
    Boot version: V574100A
    Audio SW version: A5750017-120209
    Text version: 580

In Advanced identification menu of VCDS it shows software version X03

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks very much!
  2. Advertisement

• Premium Supporter

AudiA4B6US Super Moderator

The RNS-E PU came out in 2010, so any DVD older than 2010 will likely not have the 575 firmware files on it. Once you get a DVD with the 575 (or 574 for ROW) you should be able to do the channel 97 trick to get rid of the X---.

It's ages since I played with the RNS-E but I think the first 575 sw was 0150. Coding between A3, A4 and A6 should be reversible, at least in the early sw versions. A3 coding will expect speed over CAN, which the A6 4B doesn't have. You need to have the A6 4B coding to get the v-pin working. A3 coding will also not properly put the RNS-E into deep sleep mode which may drain your battery.
    • Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

I also seem to remember it being posted (maybe by craigyb) that only early HW versions of the 2010+ RNS-E would accept the C5 A6 coding.
  3. craigyb Active Member

The B version will recode to A6, but it must be downgraded to SW0150 first.
    • Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

• Premium Supporter

AudiA4B6US Super Moderator

It might be the 2011 DVD that was the first with the RNS-E PE firmware. The list is pretty accurate.
  4. pokrovsky Member

Is anybody willing to let me borrow such dvd with 0150 software or share the required files to perform the downgrade?

Share Audi Forum with friends