CANGate

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by bjarne, Sep 4, 2006.

1. bluebrakes New Member

oh no!

Can I ask what microprocessor/controller you used for this? basic stamp? atmel?
  2. Advertisement

3. bjarne Member

I used a Microchip 18F2585 processor.
  4. bluebrakes New Member

5. PaulB New Member

CANGate install instructions?

I have recently purchased an unused CANGate unit with the mini-USB connection. It arrived without installtion instructions. Does anyone have them available to send?
    • Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

???

AFAIK CANGate never came with a mini USB.
  6. kristoffer Member

actually that is not correct, Dave.

The last units Bjarne built had miniUSB, I have 4 of them in my garage :D
    (did a group buy that did not go very well...](*,))

I'll se if I can find the instructions, I will post them next week if I find them.
  7. bjarne Member

Don't have much time these days to deal with CANGate, but I saw this post and thought I would post the instructions. The firmware instructions in "instructions_2.0.3.0.pdf" apply to both versions, if they run 2.0.3.0 firmware. I also included the connections to the serial version, for completeness.

Kristoffer, I would think that you should be able to sell your spare CANGates fairly easily, I still get requests for them from time to time, and I have no time to do any more.

Attached Files:

• Premium Supporter

Ahh, I must have an original "old" one then!
    • Premium Supporter

Second that, IIRC I've heard about 2-3 people wanting a CANGate in the last couple of months.
  8. bjarne Member

Yes, you have the original one. The only difference is, that I replaced the RS-232 driver with an FTDI USB-to-Serial chip, everything else is identical. So both versions run the same firmware. I changed it to make it easier for people to download new firmware to the unit and to have a USB connection for logging and CarPC applications.
  9. kristoffer Member

No problem, I also thought the same thing.
    I've just havent gotten around to do it yet :)

And I always forget what I put in my garage, to the wifte's big despair... ;-)
  10. PaulB New Member

Thank you, Bjarne, for posting the instructions so promptly. I realize that you have moved on from CANGate so I greatly appreciate the prompt response. I do have 2 questions based on your reply: 1) if I understand the instructions correctly, I could install this within the PNP harness and not affect the factory wires. Is this correct? I could cut the CAN L and splice the vehicle end with the green wire and splice the RSNE end with the orange wire. Similarly, I would do the same procedure with CAN H (yellow wire goes with vehicle end and white wire goes with RNSE end. I would tap the black wire to the main ground wire and tap the red wire to the +12 wire. I'm not sure what to do with the blue wire - I don't need the PTT function since I've changed the MFSW Control Module - do I tap this to ground also?
    2) How would I verify/update the firmware? The label on my unit reads: "CANGate 1002 Software V2.02 S/N 102". I assume this means that I have an earlier firmware release. Where do I access the latest firmware?

I appreciate the patience with a newbie to the forum.
  11. bjarne Member

Yes, you can make all the connections for CANGate in the PNP harnesss (except the PTT function). Your description of the connections sounds right. Since you don't need the PTT function you should leave the blue wire unconnected, you can just cut it off.

To update the firmware you need the firmware from me (or someone out there who got it from me) and you need a small program I wrote to download firmware to CANGate. You would also need to install drivers from FTDI.

The only difference between 2.0.2 and 2.0.3 is the ability to send the VIN number to the car, which helped some people having the code looping problem. If you don't need that there is no reason to update the unit. I would have to dig up the firmware and the download program if you need it, unless someone here has it handy.
  12. PaulB New Member

Thanks again, Bjarne. You're awesome with the knowledge and prompt attention. Hopefully, I can leave you alone about CANGate (unless I end up with the code looping problem...).
  13. mbagge01 New Member

Hello Everyone,

I have an older cangate with the serial connection and got a hold of a newer firmware but am not sure how to upload it. Reading from this post, bjarne gave out a special program to upload firmware (different from teraterm pro I am assuming). Does anyone happen to have that program that I could get to upload my firmware.

Share Audi Forum with friends