AUX Input?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by PetrolDave, Dec 21, 2007.

• Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

Just seen this on www.audi-sport.net:

[​IMG]

I understand how they can do this when a Symphony II+ is fitted (because that has an Aux input), but it says it will be standard EXCEPT when a Chorus II+ is fitted - meaning it will be fitted when an RNS-E is fitted.

But how?
  1. Google

• Premium Supporter

AudiA4B6US Super Moderator

I was thinking the same. Maybe the new software (EU0620 and US0250) contains a coding option to enable the useless AUX IN on the RNS-E. A full scan of the RNS-E in a car with RNS-E and AUX IN should provide the answer.
  2. RdP New Member

What about the A4 cabrio ?? Any news on this subject ??

Thanks,

RdP
  3. audirb New Member

I thought the current software for the US is 0200, not 0250? Is there a new update or was that a typo? Have the maps also been updated? Thanks.
    • Premium Supporter

Nobody has confirmed yet that there is a new DVD available from Navteq. They advertise a 2007-2008 map update but nobody bought that DVD yet to see what software/map is included.
    • Premium Supporter

Does anyone have one of the newest versions of the RNS-E, with Aux In?

If so, please look at the label on the top and tell us which pins are used for the Aux In functions.

On the Gen II+ radios the pins are :

Left In B1
    Right In B7
    Signal Gnd B3
    Aux Enable C10
  4. GlynRS2 New Member

Yes this would be very interesting.
    I found the part numbers for the AUX in socket: 8J0 035 475 (£9.78 incl. VAT), and the 4 pin flat contact housing to go with it is : 8E0 973 754 (£0.78 incl. VAT).
    Whilst I was browsing through the 2008 A3 parts list, I also came across a new TV tuner that is digital/analogue : 8J0 919 148. What version of RNS-E does that work with?
  5. kristoffer Member

I'll just direct you to the topic where we discussed it earlier... :D
    http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?p=46881&highlight=dvbt#46881
    • Premium Supporter

Ok, using EU 0650, recoding the RNS-E to 0xxxx5x or 0xxxx6x and rebooting the RNS-E I got this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I suppose the AUX NF pins in the 32pin AMP connector are to be used to connect a MP3 player or similar, haven't tried that though. When coded for 0xxxx6x there is also a falut logged for a missing DAB tuner. Locks like there is still some development done for the RNS-E (still hoping for my AMI...).
    • Premium Supporter

Must rush home lunchtime and try recoding ...

update recoded to 309753 (no help available for values greater than 4 in the penultimate digit even on VAG-COM 711.0 beta) and after a RADIO-SETUP reset the AUX option appeared.

Now just need to make up a lead ... or maybe get an A2DP bluetooth adapter and play stereo music from my phone?
    • Premium Supporter

Checked the RNS-E pinouts and found:

Aux In Left - pin 22 of AV Connector
    Aux In Right - pin 6 of AV Connector
    Aux In Gnd - pin 21 of AV Connector

But is there an equivalent to the Aux Enable (pin C10) on the Gen II+ radios? I can't see one...

I need to "cannibalise" the AV lead I have to try this out following Dirk's coding discovery.
  6. kristoffer Member

hmmm... this thread is getting REALLY interesting... :)
    • Premium Supporter

Tried this out today ..... no sound at all. :(

I've re-coded my RNS-E to 309753, and I get the Aux input option in the CD/MP3 menu as per Dirk's screen dumps.

I connected a portable CD player to the pins above, and heard nothing.

My RNS-E is an 8E0 035 192 H, HW version H70, SW EU 0650.

Any ideas? :?:
  7. Dave.G6HNI New Member

What is the impeadance / resistance between either AUX I/P and the AUX GND ie between 22 & 21 and between 6 & 21 ?

If it's infinity then chances are the pins are open circuit and not actually connected to anything/

It should be about 10Kohms if memory serves.

I have recoded mine and now have the Aux I/P in the display, but as yet have not connected anything to the pins.
    • Premium Supporter

Works fine for me. Here's what I did using software Euroo 0650, for the US we have to wait until the next US software update gets released:

[​IMG]

Get a standard 3.5mm cable for the headphone jack, three pins for the 32 pin AV connector, an AV plug and the crimp tool. If you can't get the pins, get 2 repair cable 000 979 009 and cut them in half. Part numbers can be found in NSX Jr's excellent Audipins chart at http://www.nsxjr.com/Audipins.html.

[​IMG]

Cut one side of the headphone cable off and determine what wire color is for left and right. Ground is usually common shield. Crimp the pins on one side of the headphone cable and insert them into the 32 pin connector. Left is pin 32/22, right is 32/6 and common ground is 32/21.

[​IMG]

Recode the RNS-E to 0xxxx5x or 0xxxx6x and reboot the RNS-E.

[​IMG]

The AUX in should be visible under CD/TV (CD/SD in the US) after the reboot. Connect your favorite MP3 player and enjoy the cheap upgrade.

[​IMG]

The volume is lower than radio or MP3, similar to the OEM or Dension iPod adapter volume. But it works as it should.

The same procedure should work for the Concert II+ and Symphony II+ radios as well. The repair cable / pins are the same, just insert the wires into the AUX pin positions in the blue 12pin connector on the Quadlock plug and change the coding for options 3 (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Audi_Radio_Generation_II_Plus#Coding) accordingly.

[​IMG]
  8. chasdrury Member

That's great - having just upgraded to SW0650 I am going to do this. I have a Dietz 1417 for a PS2 attached-is the 32 pin connection block the one that dietz uses? And will I be able to run both? Should the pin numbers be free on the Dietz 32 PIN connection block?

Thanks

Chaz
    • Premium Supporter

Yes, the pins are free on the AV connector that comes with the Dietz.
  9. chasdrury Member

Great - thanks.

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow... 8)
  10. MBj New Member

Has anybody the partnumber of the AUX Connector from the pictures?
    • Premium Supporter

Try looking on page 1 of THIS thread! It's already been posted by GlynRS2....

I ordered the socket and the housing 2 weeks ago and despite being told the Aux socket was on factory back order it arrived within a week.

Share Audi Forum with friends