Aftermarket from China - How-to get radio Info on DIS?

Discussion in 'Aftermarket' started by linuxmad, Nov 12, 2010.

1. linuxmad New Member

Hi,
    I installed this on my Audi A4 year 2002. It came with a Canbus box emulator. Things like ilumination, on/off with ignition key are working correctly. The only thing that I miss is the radio information on DIS. The upper part of the DIS is always black and no radio info is displayed. I emailed the company and I was told that this headunit would display the info on DIS, but thing is...it isn't displayed. Is there a way to get this "hacked" by an expert as this is something related with canbus? If this is a function of the canbus emulator box, why it isn't working? I already looked for this info everywhere, still can't get a straight answer. Is this possible?? get the info on the DIS with an aftermartket radio?
    Thanks
    José
  2. Google

3. LWNY Member

Do you have Nav direction on the DIS?
  4. linuxmad New Member

Thanks for you quick answer :)
    No. I converted from 1 din to 2 din. My stock radio was a concert 2, so no navigation. In fact I don't expect navi "arrows" on DIS. I wish !!!:):) What I am struggling is "only" for radio info (station name) and music tracks ..if possible. What do you think? Is this possible with some hacking?
    • Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

There is no know way of getting the radio information on the DIS.

For this to happen you need a CAN box that generates the messages on the Infotainment CAN bus which transfer the information to the DIS.

The equipment you have is incapable of this for 2 reasons:
    1) your CAN emulator is a read-only device.
    2) where exactly would you get the radio information out from the third party unit you have?
  5. linuxmad New Member

Are there any can emulators with read/write capabilities that I can use? I believe flyaudio (another chinese manufacturer) managed to get info displayed on th DIS. I guess their emulator is able to give back the info to the DIS..
    What do you think?
  6. insanewhisper New Member

I have been looking at this unit. Do you like it and where can i purchase it? have you found a way to fix the DIS?
  7. AudiA4Turbo22 Member

Good luck on finding one that will work, as of right now no single company has been able to get info to the DIS properly from an aftermarket unit as the cost is too great. FLYAUDIO has a very limited amount of data that is shown on the DIS.
    • Premium Supporter

The only way to get the info on the DIS is to design and build a converter that takes the data from the head unit and generates the appropriate messages on the Infotainment CAN bus.
  8. craigyb Active Member

Actually Dave I have just seen an aftermarket TT unit with the radio stations shown in the DIS, unit looks pretty good, but I was suprised by the DIS integration.

Attached Files:

• 0.jpg
      0.jpg
      File size:
      111.3 KB
      Views:
    • Premium Supporter

Someone was bound to do it eventually...all it needs is an extra piece of software to generate the messages on the CAN bus if it's done as part of the unit rather than as an external "bolt on".

More details would be good.
  9. craigyb Active Member

Yes it was directly wired into the existing loom, no adaptors except for ISO to quadlock.
  10. LWNY Member

Yes, it shouldn't have been that hard, it just required a radio that had specific customization to the audi cars, besides making it look like an Audi nav unit. The aftermarket ipod add ons puts alot of non std stuff in that DIS display, like submenus, source selections, etc.

Share Audi Forum with friends