Adding 2010 RNS-E to Audi R8

Discussion in 'Navigation units' started by frog, Aug 21, 2009.

1. frog New Member

Hi,

Does anyone know whether the new 2010 RNS-E would work in my 2009 R8?

I have Bluetooth, 6-CD changer and reversing camera already wired to my existing 2009 RNS-E.
  2. Google

• Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

Take a look in the RNS-E Forum - there is much discussion there about the new 2010 RNS-E. It would be a better place to post questions like this that are specific to the RNS-E.

It appears that the 2010 RNS-E has the same pinouts, and a 2010 RNS-E works in an early A4, so it would seem that a 2010 RNS-E should work in your R8.
  3. frog New Member

Thanks - I did have a look, but there didn't seem to be a definitive position on this. The R8 seems to have a different housing than that used on other Audi models, but it is great news that the pinout is the same.
    • Premium Supporter

The A3, A4, TT, A6 and R8 all have different front panels - but AFAIK the electronics "box" is the same.

For example, many people have swapped the front panel from an A3 RNS-E for an A4 front panel, and it fits perfectly and works fine in an A4.
  4. frog New Member

That's good news - although the controls for the R8 are below the screen rather than beside the screen (looking at an A3)
  5. frog New Member

R8 - would it really work with the 2010 RNS-E?

Audi are saying:

"The system is not MMI so there is no MOST ring for it to go into and so it will work like the latest systems on the A4 and A5 that run on CAN communication and that the wiring harness for the new R8 has a few differences and that we do not know what effects this may have with the latest system fitted"
    • Premium Supporter

Audi's official line is that ALL the retrofits that we do are impossible!

The R8 uses an RNS-E so it doesn not have MOST, and the 2010 RNS-E also does not have MOST - so there is NO REASON why it cannot be retrofitted.

As soon as the carrier delivers it I should have a 2010 RNS-E fitted to my 2006 RS4 - something Audi say is impossible.
  6. frog New Member

Thanks PetrolDave.

It will take some fortitude :D to get past all the ignorance and FUD from the Audi dealerships - and I appreciate what I find out from you and the other guys on this forum.

If I can get them to just bring one in and install it - I'll know for sure....
  7. frog New Member

Getting somewhere...

Hi,

Well my dealer has agreed to supply the 2010 RNS-E and the AMI (iPod unit) for my R8, but he can't install them.

I have a few questions though which I hope someone can help me out;

1. is the installation of the AMI easy enough? I believe it replaces the 6-CD changer between the seats.
    2. Does the AMI use the same cable and connector as the CD changer? I really hope so!
    3. Does anyone have the part number for the AMI - I have the number for the RNS-E unit.
    4. Do I need anything else except from these two parts?

Thanks to all.

Share Audi Forum with friends