A4 B7 RNS-E install

Discussion in 'RNS-E' started by Geoff, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Geoff New Member

Hi,

I have a 2005 A4 B7 and have just bought a RNS-E EU model from ebay. I'm new to this but looking to install it into my car. It didn't come with any cables, do you know what I need?

Reading through the forums it sounds fairly straight forward and should be pretty much plug and play.

Anybody done this before?

Thanks,

Geoff
  2. Google

• Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

You'll need a diversity antenna adapter, and a harness adapter (different if you have Bose or not).

Do you have a GPS antenna? - there won't be one fitted to your car (it's included in the "sharkfin" which is standard in the US but not in the UK).

All of those you can get from suppliers like Kufatec.

If your car has a Symphony II then with those it will be a plug-n-play, but if you've got a Chrous then you'll need to do quite a few mods to the centre console to get the RNS-E to fit.

Then finally you'll need access to VAG-COM to code the RNS-E and setup your DIS to display the navigation info (if you've got the red DIS you'll have the well documented on here "red DIS problem" of having to turn the RNS-E off and back on the get the navigation information to display on the DIS).
  3. Geoff New Member

Hi,

Yes i've ordered the cables and GPS antenna from Kufatec.

What happens if you don't update the VAG-COM codes, will the unit work?

Have you got a colour DIS then? Do you know of anybody that has done a retorfit of the colour DIS? It would be nice to have.

Thanks,

Geoff
    • Premium Supporter

The unit might or might not work properly - depending on what it's current coding is. You'll still need VAG-COM to tell the DIS to look for the navigation info.

I've got an S4 and they come as standard with the colour DIS.

To replace the DIS you actually have to replace the whole instrument cluster - which means having the immobilser setup again, so it's probably a dealer job. It's not cheap - not much change from $1000 is often said on here (guess that means not much change from £1000 in "rip off Britain")! I've seen some postings about it on tyresmoke.net too.
  4. tjsobo New Member

I know this is posted somewhere on here but I'm having a lot of trouble finding it....

I just installed an RNS-E in my 2005.5 B7 A4, everything seems to be working but I'm not getting my nav directions on my color DIS, however my sat radio and mps info shows up fine.

I'm assuming I need to change vag com info, what do I change? Should I buy a cable and do this myself?

I know this is probably redundant but I really appreciate the help.
    • Premium Supporter

Lots of places ...

Using VAG-COM you needd to add 4 to the value in adaptation channel 62 of the instruments at address 17 see Audi A4 (8E) Instrument Cluster (8EC/8ED/8HE) - Ross-Tech Wiki

So if you have a value of 17 (radio only) change it to 21, if you have a value of 19 (radio + phone) change it to 23.
  5. ajax Member

Seems odd but this does not work for me... Just fitted a RNS-E to a B7 A4, the unit works fine, speaks to the Phone module fine, displays radio / track info in the DIS ok but the navigation info will not display... My Instruments channel 62 is coded 23. Any ideas???

Thanks
    AJAX
  6. ajax Member

Ok, an update - working now. For some reasone the nav info did not come up on the display straight away, although I restarted the RNS-E and also switched off and on the ignition. I left the car to sit there for about an hour and now the nav info is displayed in the DIS if route guidance is active or if Compass is ticked in the NAV settings.
    • Premium Supporter

This is a well documented "feature" both on here and elsewhere.

The messages on the CAN bus have a sequence number, and until that sequence number rolls over the DIS will not respond to the new coding.

Share Audi Forum with friends