2010 Seat RNS-E retrofit for Audi A4 B6/B7

Discussion in 'RNS-E' started by AudiA4B6US, Apr 27, 2009.

• Premium Supporter

AudiA4B6US Super Moderator

By know it is pretty certain that there will be an upgraded RNS-E for the Seat Exeo that may fit in its sibling Audi A4 B6/B7 as well. Since many will be interested in retrofitting the new RNS-E to get AMI and traffic (US only, Europe always had TMC) I thought a new topic would be in order the focusses on the 2010 Seat RNS-E retrofit in the A4 B6/B7.

Comments and news not related to retrofitting the 2010 Seat RNS-E in an A4 B6/B7 should be posted in the existing topics at http://audiforum.us/maps-firmware/11112-rns-e-seat-exeo-different-graphics.html or http://audiforum.us/rns-e/11210-ami-rns-e-new-tt-rs-price-list.html
  1. Google

• Premium Supporter

AudiA4B6US Super Moderator

2. mma955i New Member

So when can you buy one of these units?
    You can order them right now, problem is that they are wrapped up in an A3, TT or R8. if you don't want the gift wrap you will need to wait a couple more months.
  3. CeldeSuS Member

Check out YouTube - Seat Exeo and look at minute 2:48. It shows the connection of an ipod to seat exeo's rns-e. It looks like the RNS-E is not showing the track names of the ipod. It shows Titulo 1, Titulo2... (I believe it means Track1, Track2... in spanish).
    So... I'm wondering if the 2010 A3 RNS-E's hardware is different from Seat Exeo RNS-E's.
  4. Hollywood Member

....i don't see the new grapich or other news in this video but it's quite sure that the rns-e MY 2010 have a new hardware inside.
    My friend say me that the entry of AMI unit need a hardaware update.
    • Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

The latest update to ETKA still has a blank entry against AMI for the new Seat RNS-E, so I guess it's not released yet.

And it still doesn't list the new map DVD either.
  5. JohnS3 Member

[​IMG]

The seat Exeo options list shows an ipod connection for £60. For that price it must be the existing unit from the A3/A4. The 09 A3 is offered with iPod connector £175 or AMI for £245
  6. msullx Member

The latest update to ETKA (from Sunday) still has a blank entry for Exeo DVD part number, strange...
  7. izzelsizzel Member

for what it's worth, i do have a USA 2010 Audi order Guide in PDF format. for the A3, you can order the RNS-E with a cd changer, or with an ipod hookup. Nothing led me to believe it was a different unit than the year before.
  8. Haaggie Forum Supporter

the hardware of the latest MY 2010 RNS-E is the same as the hardware for the Exeo. For example, the option to enable the start-up screen for the Exeo is available on the Audi unit:

-> Channel 018 (Startup Logo, sw US 0150+/EU 0500+)
    0 - Default
    1 - S3 (EU 0500+ only)
    2 - S4 (EU 0500+ only)
    3 - RS4 (EU 0500+ only)
    4 - TT
    5 - R8
    6 – Seat Exeo (only possible on MY 2010 units)

Great news mates! I already tested that also the 'old' face plates fit any new MY 2010 unit.

So, let's focus on the SW now. to make it possible:

-to convert an MY 2010 EU unit to US SW
    -to enable VIM on both US and EU units

So guys, let the game begin, and start all over again ;-)
  9. Haaggie Forum Supporter

can someone tell me the part# of the Seat Exeo Navigation unit?
    • Premium Supporter

According to ETKA 3R0 035 192 - which concerns me that it's 192 and not 193...
  10. '05UltraSport New Member

I'm interested in a 2010 RNS-E, US SW version. Has anyone put one in a 2005 A4 yet?
    • Premium Supporter

I don't reckon there's an issue with MY of the A4 - AFAIK the 2010 RNS-E communicates to the rest of the car (DIS, CAN, etc) using the same messages as a pre-2010 RNS-E, and we know any version of pre-2010 RNS-E works in any MY of car.

The first person to try a 2010 RNS-E in a B6 or B5 will confirm that - I hope!
    • Premium Supporter

I installed a 2010 RNS-E into my 2006 B7 RS4 yesterday (late!) and all seems to work fine. However S4 & RS4 owners should be aware that you lose the S4 & RS4 startup screen - it accepts the values of 2 & 3 in channel 18 but still only shows the "normal" startup screen, however you can make it show the Seat startup screen!

The better screen resolution and different colours are immediately obvious - I'll post photos as soon as I can take some.

It does seem fussier about SD cards though - a 512MB one and a 4GB one that worked fine in my H model RNS-E don't work, but my other 7 SD cards do? I've yet to get an SDHC one to try.

I haven't been able to get the "speed display" option to show anything? Anyone got any clues on this?
  11. McBadger Member

Great news!

Fingers crossed for us in the US though... (though I'll be back in Blighty next week).

TPIWWP :)
  12. rbobbydray New Member

Any updates?

I have an RNS-E with a factory iPod dock in the glovebox; as you know, I cannot "control" the iPod other than the mysterious 6 CD "playlists."

Have there been any updates to the 2010 MY RNS-E in older models? Does the AMI and iPod interface work as it should? How and when could we all upgrade? Do we contact the dealer and go through AoA? If a software upgrade won't do enough, how much would the hardware unit be (and where do you get it)? Seems crazy, but it is almost worth a class-action suit: having to reach in the glove box to find specific content on an iPod.
  13. santa93 Member

Before you launch your class-action suit you might want to read through all the three" 2010 RNS-E" stickies on the top of the RNS-forum. You'll find answers to most if not all of your questions. The my 2010 RNS-E is partly new hw so 'old' pre 2010 my RNS-E's are not software upgradable to the new "2010-features".
    • Premium Supporter

The 2010 RNS-E is available in the TT Mark2, A3 and R8.

It appears (but needs yet to be tested) that a CAN version of AMI can be fitted, which will give much improved iPod and USB.

Upgrade? - there is NO Audi upgrade/retrofit path and there never has been for the RNS-E. If you want a new 2010 RNS-E plus AMI then you have to retrofit it yourself.

As has been said previously this is a HARDWARE upgrade and NOT a software upgrade.

It always makes me laugh when I see people mention law suits and class actions - technology improves and changes so things that were impossible a year ago are possible now, and legal action won't change that. Stop making lawyers rich, and do the retrofit for yourself.
  14. rbobbydray New Member

Well, I am glad that I made you laugh Dave. I thought the joke was obvious. Didn't mean to touch any sensitive nerves! Anyway, like all of us, I'm just a squirrel looking for a nut; trying to find the best and most straightforward way to upgrade.

Does your new MY 2010 include better iPod integration, or have you not bitten the Apple?

Share Audi Forum with friends