2010+ RNS-E firmware updated to 210...

Discussion in 'RNS-E' started by bitnaut, Mar 4, 2013.

1. bitnaut Member

...has anyone figured out what's different between the 210 and the previous 200 version? Is it just bug fixes?

2. Google

3. craigyb Active Member

No not at all, it's quite a serious issue that I think will affect a lot of people very soon.

From what I can tell the 210 software is a hack that has been used to force (not read) a PIN code into the RNS-E after a disk drive swap. We all know the PIN is somehow screwed up by swapping a DVD drive from another RNS-E, but obviously that's not goo as it means you can't repair any RNS-E units, so some clever people have come up with a hack disk that writes new SW to the RNS-E and force a new 4 digit PIN code into it as well and set the SW level to 210.

But the problem comes as soon as you install a 2013 disk (SW0220), the hack will be lost along with the PIN code. You will not be able to get a PIN code from Audi as that will not work anymore. Only way around it is to wait until the people who created the hack generate a 2013 version of the hack disk and the people who have been supplying repaired RNS-E units with dodgy hacks actually allow you to update your RNS-E as well.

The hack disk is well protected, not copyable and expensive to buy as far as I'm aware.
  4. bitnaut Member

Sounds like I shouldn't have upgraded my firmware :(

Share Audi Forum with friends