2008 A4 RNS-E BT Audio? A2DP?

Discussion in 'Navigation units' started by icon5585, Mar 4, 2011.

1. icon5585 New Member

I'm looking at purchasing a 2008 A4 2.0T with the nav and bluetooth. I was wondering if my droid phone would be able to play music over the stereo? Does the bluetooth support it? My current mercury milan w/microsoft's sync supports it, so I don't see why the RNS-E wouldn't. Thanks in advance!
  2. Google

3. craigyb Active Member

No it doesn't support A2DP
  4. icon5585 New Member

Is there any way to add this functionality??
    • Premium Supporter

PetrolDave Super Moderator

Connect an external A2DP to RCA converter to the Aux In connections of the RNS-E.
  5. icon5585 New Member

Another odd question then, how could I have my phone connected to the internal bluetooth of the RNS-E and this A2DP adapter?
    • Premium Supporter

First, the RNS-E doesn' t have internal Bluetooth - it's a separate module that the RNS-E communicates with over the CAN bus.

I believe, but I'm not 100% so you need to check for yourself, that most phones can connect to a handsfree Bluetooth for phone functions and an A2DP Bluetooth for media functions at the same time.
  6. icon5585 New Member

Thanks PetrolDave for the info, i'll have to look and see if anyone's done this. The one I'm looking at has the iPod adapter, i don't know if I could use that somehow?
    • Premium Supporter

I doubt the iPod adapter won't be any good to you - it's pretty rubbish as it makes the iPod look like a virtual 6 CD changer ( 5 play lists plus all music) and doesn't have any support for track names or album names.
  7. icon5585 New Member

Ugh, it's starting to sound like the RNS-E is ridiculously dated....
    • Premium Supporter

It's the rubbish iPod interface that's the problem.

In 2010/2011 Audis the RNS-E can have AMI - which does have a proper iPod interface (but that cannot be retrofitted to older models due to problems with missing messages on the Infotainment CAN bus).
  8. Matt Devo Member

what I ended up doing was picking up a Blackberry Bluetooth Gateway ($35 from buy.com) and wiring it into the RNS-E's aux-in. Picked up a $5 12v-USB converter for power, disassembled it and wired directly to an ignition switched source. Works perfectly with any A2DP device (including my and my gf's android phones.), reconnecting automatically.
    TheReg likes this.

Share Audi Forum with friends